Asylum Aid Chair of Trustees
We are looking to find a new inspirational Chair of Trustees to dedicate the time, knowledge and vision on a voluntary basis to help support Asylum Aid sustainably grow to meet the increasing need for legal representation amongst Survivors across the UK.
We are particularly interested to hear form people who might have knowledge and expertise of how Legal Aid works and/or Immigration/Asylum Law.
We are a driven team who are all committed to build on Asylum Aid’s legacy and see it flourish. Asylum Aid has a special place in the refugee sector – in the services it offers, the culture it promotes and the people it supports. The successful transition to the Helen Bamber Foundation Group is a testament to the team’s professionalism and resilience and their motivation to support Survivors - we hope that you too will be inspired by our clients’ stories and will want to join us to help make a positive impact.
This position for also sits on the Board of Trustees at the Helen Bamber Foundation in order to ensure strong communication and alignment within the Helen Bamber Foundation Group.
The main duties of the role of Chair of Asylum Aid’s Board of Trustees is to lead the board, liaise with the Helen Bamber Foundation Board and support the CEO to ensure good governance and help plan and fulfil the strategic aims of the charity as well as:
- Using your skills to the benefit of Asylum Aid and the Helen Bamber Foundation Group
- Supporting and advising the Executive on the vision, direction and management of the charity •
- Being responsible for the governance of the charity, ensuring that Asylum Aid acts in accordance with its governing documents and applicable legislation
- Ensuring that Asylum Aid uses its resources exclusively to further its charitable objects
- Exercising control over the financial affairs of Asylum Aid and protect its assets, ensuring that the charity is financially sustainable
- Carrying out your duties and make decisions at all times in the best interests of Asylum Aid
- Attending and contributing to Board Meetings
- Advocating on behalf of Survivors and Refugees
- Acting as an ambassador for Asylum Aid and the Helen Bamber Foundation Group
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit the following:
- An up to date, detailed CV.
- A supporting statement
- Please let us know if you are not able to attend interview on the dates given in the Recruitment Timetable and/or if you would like to speak to someone from the Appointment Panel prior to submitting an application.
Since the HBF and Asylum Aid’s work involves the engagement and participation of individuals with lived experience, candidates may be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check as part of any application. If successful you will be asked to provide details of two referees who we may contact at shortlist stage.
The closing date for applications is 26th November 2021.
Submit to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to speak to one or more of the Chair of HBF, Charlotte Seymour-Smith, the interim Chair of Asylum Aid, Sir Nicolas Bratza, or the Chief Executive of Asylum Aid, Kerry Smith, then please contact Kerry at Kerry.Smith@helenbamber.org
The Helen Bamber Foundation and Asylum Aid is an equal opportunities and Living Wage employer. We are committed to attracting and recruiting diverse candidates as we are keen to make sure that our staff, trustees, volunteers and ambassadors reflect the communities we serve and the wider community we work in at every level within the organisation. We particularly welcome applications from Minority Ethnicities.
Download full job description here.