Overview of the Role
This exciting role is responsible for delivering income from a range of donors and prospects, with a focus on trusts and foundations and corporate foundations, through the overall management and growth of a successful grants programme. We are looking for an ambitious and strategic fundraiser with a proven track record of raising significant funds from charitable trusts and foundations, who, alongside our existing team, will help to grow and develop this area of fundraising for the Helen Bamber Foundation. The post holder will have a proven eye for detail, an analytical nature and a flair for writing successful applications.
As Grants Manager, you will be reporting to the Head of Fundraising and Communications and will be supporting them and the Director of Fundraising and Communications to achieve ambitious but realistic income targets. The post holder will perform a wide range of responsibilities, such as researching prospects, developing bespoke proposals (including complex budgets), stewarding existing funding relationships and driving new business. You will also be responsible for reporting on grants, including the management of data required for measurement and evaluation.
We are looking for a proactive and collaborative fundraiser, who is committed to helping achieve the income requirements for HBF and who can react and respond creatively to the operational and financial needs of the charity.
HBF is an equal opportunities and Living Wage employer. We are committed to attracting and recruiting diverse candidates as we are keen to make sure that our staff, trustees, volunteers and ambassadors reflect the communities we serve and the wider community we work in at every level within the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Income generation and account management
- In collaboration with the wider fundraising team, develop and implement a robust strategy for raising income from trusts, foundations and corporate foundations, with a specific focus on securing large grants (over £50,000 p/a), mid-sized grants (under £50,000 p/a) and occasionally on smaller grants;
- Lead on the development of high-quality funding applications with accurate budgets and well considered outputs and outcomes that are aligned with the Helen Bamber Foundation’s charitable mission;
- Research potential donors and analyse their suitability to feed into trusts and foundations pipeline, including identifying new prospect research methodologies and technologies;
- Provide excellent grant management for a range of existing grants, ensuring that HBF’s donors have a best-in-class stewardship experience, leading to the renewal and uplift of existing grants;
- Develop and implement cultivation and stewardship plans for key accounts;
- Plan and host meetings and programme visits for current and prospective funders, including meetings with senior team members and other relevant stakeholders, as appropriate;
- Working closely with colleagues across the charity, prepare timely and accurate reports for funders that demonstrate the impact they are achieving in partnership with the Helen Bamber Foundation;
- Working closely with the Head of Fundraising and Communications, carry out network mapping to identify additional connections within trustee board, fundraising board and other relevant VIPs;
- Occasionally attending external events as a representative for the organisation.
- Contribute to the effective management of HBF’s fundraising work plan by ensuring all pipeline information is accurate, up-to-date, well organised and compliant with GDPR and HBF policies;
- Process all incoming donations in line with internal procedures, ensuring all donors receive a timely thank you;
- Manage a timetable of deadlines to ensure donors receive reports and other correspondence as required.
3. Other Responsibilities
- Working with colleagues across the charity, create ‘gold standard,’ robust and engaging cases for support;
- Support and contribute to the effective monitoring and evaluation processes of the charity;
- Contribute to the fundraising departments reporting requirements for Directors and Trustees by maintaining a clear and accurate record of financial information;
- Attending and contributing to fundraising events, team meetings and strategy days;
- Provide support to the fundraising team as required in line with experience.
The successful candidate will have an eye for detail, an analytical nature, a flair for writing and be highly proactive, self-motivated and organised, whilst balancing competing priorities and working collaboratively with the other members of the fundraising and communications team and the wider charity. The candidate will have the opportunity to develop their experience across various income streams as the Helen Bamber Foundation continues to grow our fundraising and deliver impact for our clients.
- Several years of significant experience spanning all aspects of grant fundraising;
- Demonstrable experience of securing significant income from charitable trusts and foundations;
- Demonstrable experience of developing a sustainable fundraising strategy for trusts and foundations;
- Demonstrable experience of successfully prospecting, cultivating and stewarding relationships with charitable trusts and foundations;
- Good working knowledge of major UK and international funders in the human rights, asylum & refugee and health sectors;
- Experience of collecting, analysing and presenting data to evidence impact;
- Exceptional organisational skills with experience of managing multiple tasks and prioritising effectively;
- Excellent ability to communicate in writing and in person;
- Excellent attention to accuracy and detail;
- High standard of numeracy and budgeting skills;
- Good interpersonal and team working skills, with an ability to work independently and seize opportunities.
- Computer literate with experience of managing / maintaining databases and confident in using all MS Office programmes;
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the objectives of the Helen Bamber Foundation.
Please note that the successful candidate will be offered the job subject to suitable references and a DBS (CRB) check.
Please submit an up-to-date CV and a short covering letter outlining how your skills and experience match the listed duties, responsibilities and person specification to Alexandra Ciucu, Head of Fundraising and Communications at email@example.com by 9am Monday 25th October 2021. Interview date TBC. Please note exceptional candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
We regret that we can only respond to applicants who make it to the interview stage. No agencies, please.
The Helen Bamber Foundation and Asylum Aid is an equal opportunities and Living Wage employer. We are committed to attracting and recruiting diverse candidates as we are keen to make sure that our staff, trustees, volunteers and ambassadors reflect the communities we serve and the wider community we work in at every level within the organisation. We particularly welcome applications from Minority Ethnicities.
Download full job description here.